Kindergarten to Year 6
You need to apply to enrol your children in school for 2023 if they are:
- starting Kindergarten – 4 years old by 30 June 2023
- starting Pre-Primary, the first year of compulsory school – 5 years old by 30 June 2023
- changing schools.
Enrolment requirements differ from school to school. Brookman PS is a local-intake school with a defined boundary as described in the local intake tab. Families who reside within the local-intake area are guaranteed enrolment for their children in the compulsory years of schooling (PP to Year 6). Children whose usual place of residence is not in the local-intake area are accommodated where possible but acceptance is at the principal’s discretion. Parents are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, even if the child is of compulsory schools age and is guaranteed a place in the school. This will assist us with planning for the following year.
Kindergarten – The Western Australian Government fully funds Kindergarten for age-eligible children in public schools and supplements the cost of Kindergarten in Catholic and independent schools. Children may be enrolled in Kindergarten in one school only, either public or private.
From 2020, only Kindergarten children can only enrol if:
their immunisation status is ‘up to date’; or
they are on an approved immunisation catch up plan; or
they meet the criteria to be an exempt child because of particular family circumstances.
Applications for enrolment for Kindergarten are accepted during the year prior to the child commencing. The closing date for first round offers is on the first Friday in July of Term 3. Applications may still be made after this date and will be considered on a case by case basis, in accordance with the Department of Education’s Enrolment Policy which can be found at http://www.det.wa.edu.au/policies.
Pre Primary – Pre-Primary is the first year of compulsory school. Every child of Pre-Primary age is required to attend school and is guaranteed a place at their local school. To enrol, your child must be five years old by 30 June in the year they attend Pre-Primary.
If your child is currently attending our Kindergarten but you live outside of our local intake area, you will need to re-enrol them in Pre-Primary for next year.
If your child is currently enrolled in our Kindergarten, you live within our local intake area and you plan to stay at that school for Pre-Primary, you don’t need to re-enrol.
To enrol your child at Brookman Primary School you will need to complete the Online Application form along with your child’s supporting documentation.
These documents may be uploaded or scanned to include:
- BIRTH CERTIFICATE (original or certified copy) or extract or other identity documents
- AUSTRALIAN IMMUNISATION HISTORY STATEMENT – Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) Immunisation History Statement that is not more than two months old; or Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) Immunisation History Form for children on a catch up schedule that is not more than six months old; or
Immunisation Certificate issued by the Chief Health Officer.
Other immunisation documents are no longer accepted..
- PROOF OF ADDRESS– Utility bill / Drivers licence / Tenancy Agreement / Statutory Declaration form (Dual Occupancy)
- Copies of Family Court or any other court orders (if applicable)
- Information relating to suspensions or exclusions
- Information relating to disability
IF YOUR CHILD WAS NOT BORN IN AUSTRALIA OR BOTH PARENTS WERE BORN OVERSEAS, please provide the following details:
- Date of entry into Australia
- Passport or travel documents
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Visa Grant Notice (please provide original Visa Grant Notice if on a bridging visa)
If your child is a temporary visa holder, you must also provide:
- Confirmation of placement or enrolment for an overseas fee-paying student or evidence of any permission to transfer provided by TAFE International WA, or
- Evidence of the visa for which the student has applied if the student holds a bridging visa
Decisions about the enrolment of your child into a specific year of schooling and/or the educational program will be based on age eligibility, as well as the child’s level of previous schooling, achievement levels and identified needs.
If you are applying for the following year, you will be advised in writing about your application within three weeks of the closing date for applications (that is after the end of the first week of Term 3). If you are applying for the current year, you will be advised in writing as soon as possible.
Once the application has been accepted, you will be required to complete an Enrolment Form and submit it to the school.
If your Application for Enrolment is not accepted, you will be advised in writing within three weeks of the advertised closing date for applications.